1. Make plans but know that they will probably change.
2. Chase your dreams, but remember to enjoy them when you catch them.
3. A day with dolphins is NEVER a bad day.
4. Dolphin sightings require shouting in a higher than usual octave.
5. Boats hurt. You're not a true sailor unless you are covered daily in scratches, bruises, bumps and bites.
6. Salt gets everywhere and is amazingly destructive. Fresh water = best friend.
7. In Southern Florida, 20% chance of rain means it will definitely rain. But only from every other cloud and only for 2 minutes each.
8. Sailors are some of the nicest, innovative, welcoming and most helpful people you will ever meet. They all have amazing stories even if they've only been in this life for 5 minutes - usually stories of what NOT to do.
9. The hardest part about meeting new people so frequently is saying farewell.
10. Always have extra snacks onboard. You never know when friends will happen or when you’ll be too seasick to cook real food.
11. You will learn things about yourself you never knew. You will be able to do things you never thought you could before.
12. Centre console powerboats spend more money on their stereo than the value of the boat itself.
13. Channel 16 on the VHF in Southern Florida is sometimes better than a soap opera.
14. Set the hook and ALWAYS back down. BACK DOWN!
15. There will be bugs.
16. No-see-um bites last for 3 days minimum.
17. Keep aloe on board.
18. Check your zincs! (See no. 6)
19. Canadian/American conversion sucks if you're Canadian.
20. American liquor prices. Beauty. It explains a lot of what we've read in the news.
21. It will be forever difficult to sleep on land after this without a gentle rocking and sound of lapping water.
22. No two sunsets are the same.
23. Palm trees are much more dramatic than any deciduous tree. A little gust of wind and they're all, "Oh no, I might fall over!"
24. Respect the elements. They were here before you. They shaped the earth. They will be here after you. They don't care what deadlines you have.
25. You can never have too many solar panels.
26. Alcohol is consumed quicker on the water than on land.
27. Don't stop boats with your arms. (Or any body part while we're on the subject).
28. There are always things to fix. Pace yourself. Small victories.
29. Rain = unlimited fresh water for showers!
30. Check your oil. Always.
32. Some days will be a lot more hard work than you expected. Other days will be a lot more amazing than you expected.
32. You will never be ready. Do it anyway.
Have your own tidbits of wisdom and insight to add to our list? Let us know in the comments!